Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Road Trip!

I know! I know! I haven't written in a LONG time. I've been busy. The holidays, works, projects, blah, blah, blah.

Recently, I went to Bryan-College Station with my son for a speech tournament at Texas A&M. While he competed, I explored my old hometown. Man, has it grown!!! I barely recognized College Station. Bryan was different but still the same. One thing I had TOTALLY forgotten about was the Weenie Whop! OMG! I used to love their hot dogs. Of course, I had to stop. YUM! Okay...so it's not called the Weenie Whop...it's real name is Der Wienerschnitzel. You try saying that when your drunk and hungry.
.
Another lucky thing I found while exploring Bryan, was The Hook and Needle. ZOMG! This is one of the best little yarn stores in Texas!! If you're a yarnie -- crochet or knit -- you MUST stop by! The owner, Nancy, is AWESOME!! She's a bundle of information and full of this contagious energy and passion for knitting and crocheting. I spent a wonderful afternoon at her place as she helped customers and visited with me ...and getting me hooked on Elizabeth Zimmerman patterns. I know...I'm a late-bloomer. Next time you're in the area, stop by The Hook and Needle and say "hi!"

I found some goodies there that I hadn't seen before. I love going into a new yarn shop and finding wonderful new yarns to try out. I got some Pagewood Farm Tundra (camel and silk), Kertzer CoolSpun Cotton, Stylecraft Pure Luxury Merino, and Fibranatura Cottonwood (to go with some Arauncania I already have. The merino, cottonwood and arauncania are going to become Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket. The Hook and Needle had lots of great patterns. I got several EZ patterns like the Suspender Sweater, Badger Sweater, and the Baby Surprise Jacket. I also got Anna Makarovna's Secret Stockings -- knitting one pair of socks on one set of needles. I've got to try this pattern!!!

So all in all, it was a wonderful weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. Yep, I miss Bryan. It was a great town to grow up in. But when I drove by our house...it just didn't feel the same. Bryan High School is HUGE now. Our Kroger's was turned into a bingo hall. The country club was still there...but now there's a Super Wal-Mart across the street. Wonder what creatures visit it (http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/)?

No comments:

Post a Comment