Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Switchback Cowl is Finished!

It's done! Kira K Design's Switchback Cowl made with Great Northern Yarns' Deep Forest Green, DK, 70% Mink/30% Cashmere. This yarn was amazing! I wasn't sure when I first got the skein but as I knit with it, it just melted on my needles. I soaked it in room temperature water before blocking and stretched the heck out of it on my blocking boards. And VOILA! This scrumptious, uber soft mink/cashmere cowl.


The pattern was perfect for my first attempt at lace work. I'm SURE there are several mistakes in it but to the untrained eye, they will not be seen.

There was only one near-fatal disaster. Seems JackCat LOVES...I mean LOVES... mink/cashmere yarn. I had put the cowl away in my knitting bag to take to knitting group for show and tell. When I came back in the room 4-5 hours later, the cowl was out of the bag and on the couch. Hmmmmm.... I could have sworn I put it away. After closer inspection, I noticed the ONE tail I had left to weave in was MISSING!!! I know I didn't weave it in. I looked closer and found a nub along the cast on edge that was damp. ???? wait for it... wait for it... AH HA!!!! Damn cat!!! He's been eating my yarn again. Luckily enough, I was able to frog several stitches and tie on some more yarn and rework it. You can't tell. But still...that DAMN CAT!!

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, and I really want to touch the mink/cashmere yarn! This summer I got a new website, so the new url for this pattern is http://www.kirakdesigns.com/pattern-store/scarves-cowls/switchback-cowl/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for letting me know. I've updated the link to your pattern. I really did enjoy making it...and my boss just loved getting the finished cowl.

      Delete