Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Anchors Away!


I got a custom order off of a recent baby gift I made for a coworker. She wanted the aviator hat plus a pair of bloomers/diaper cover with an anchor appliqued on the butt. It turned out SOOOOO cute!

Just as before, I used pattern from The Sequin Turtle. Then I found Widdershins Soaker by Sabra. It's a really cute and easy pattern. And I used the same yarn as before... For the hat Red Heart Soft in navy plus good ol' Lion Brand Homespun in cream. I think it looks just like the fleece lined hat. Then I found the wooden buttons at Hobby Lobby.

The size was for 0-3 month old baby. I did shorten the butt just a little.

 
The bloomers could stand on their own...Looks like Domo is ready to join the US Navy!!

The anchor...well that's a different story. I looked around for patterns. Found some but they put them together in pieces. I HATE TAILS! I want as few tails to weave in as possible. So...I started winging it.

Here's my crochet applique pattern for the anchor that I created as I went.

Crochet Anchor Applique

For the top loop:
Chain 8. Slip stitch into first chain making a circle.

For the shank:
Chain 10 off the circle. SC into second stitch from the hook.
SC 7 more stitches up the chain toward the circle.

For the arms:
Chain 6.
SC into second stitch from the hook.
SC 3 more stitches toward the shank.
SS into back of shank.
Chain 6.
SC into second stitch from hook.
SC 3 more stitches back toward the shank.
Now you have the top cross arms.

You can either slip stitch toward the bottom or cut yarn and SS into second stitch from the bottom. If you cut, leave a SUPER long tail to use to sew onto bloomers.

For the longer bottom arms:
Chain 10.
SC into second stitch from the hook
SC 8 more sttitches back toward the shank.
SS into back of shank.
Chain 10.
SC into second stitch from the hook
SC 8 more sttitches back toward the shank again.
SS into back of shank.
Tie off with a SUPER long tail.

Use tails to sew onto bloomers or crocheted piece. Be sure to keep top arms and shank straight. Give the bottom arms a curve.

1 comment: