Monday, May 16, 2011

New Project: Special Olympic Scarves

OK...who's in with me?

Red Heart is making scarves again this year for all the American athletes at the 2012 Special Olympics. They can be knitted or crocheted. No special pattern. We just have to use specific Red Heart yarn colors and they have to be at least 6 inches wide by 54 to 60 inches long. This year the official colors are...
  • Red Heart Super Saver 387 - Soft Navy
  • Red Heart Super Saver 319 - Cherry Red
  • Red Heart Soft 4604 - Navy
  • Red Heart Soft 9925 - Really Red
They haven't set the deadlines yet for each state. I think the rest of the details are suppose to be released on/by May 23.

Check out more information at ScarvesForSpecialOlympics.org and 2012 Special Olympics Scarf Project on Red Heart's blog

I picked up a skein each of Soft Navy and Cherry Red today at Hobby Lobby for like $4 each. Not sure how I'll make it yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to work 2012 into so maybe there'll be some colorwork.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to, but I swore I would never use Red Heart again. It hurts my hands to work with it. I just can't knit with 100% acrylic yarns, which I assume this is. I barely like to work with 75% acr/25% wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand. Acrylic is not my favorite either. But for "charity" knitting...it's the best way to go and helps avoid any wool allergies. The Soft is not bad...the Super Saver is typical acrylic but it washes out soft.

    ReplyDelete